Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The first days of being here...and my roommates!

Ephesians 1: 4-5
“Long ago, even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes. His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into His own family by bringing us to Himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave Him great pleasure.”
I am so thankful that we serve a God who does not change! He is the same yesterday today and tomorrow!! This verse tells me of God’s great love, not only for me but for all of His children. As I pack some of my things and have my guitar ready to go, I think of God’s love for His children whom I will meet tomorrow. Each one of them was thought about before God made the world. Each one has been chosen by God through Christ to be part of His family. They may not have a family here on earth, but they have one through Christ. I praise the Lord for His sweet kindness and His Great love!!
Bucharest. If you didn’t know there are 2 million people who live in Bucharest, and you can tell! As I walk down the street or take the Metro I am amazed at all the people. You see a lot of people on the streets, some of them ask for money (though I am not really sure what they are saying). We went to a park the other day and there were many people lying on the benches…some of them did not look well at all! It is really hard to see that kind of life. To try and understand what life events got them there? Have they ever known anything different? I live right downtown in Bucharest, just a few blocks away from the The Civic Centre & The Parliament Palace! It really is a beautiful place, with many fountains with blue, red, or yellow water! Today I saw some kids bathing in the water…Oh and traffic! It is crazy how fast people drive! I think my brother Johnathan would do great driving here…but anyone else I don’t really know! People don’t use signals, they just cut in front of you, and they LOVE to use their horn! They will honk their horn and then look at you and point that they want to move in front of you! I feel safe when I ride with other Romanians, but if I had to drive…well lets just say I would need a lot of prayers. (Don’t worry, I don’t think I will be doing that any time soon!)
I live in an apartment with 5 other girls, I want to give you a little more detail on each of them! Julie is from WA state and is the one I e-mailed before coming here! She is very sweet and I look forward to spending more time with her one on one! She will be here until Oct., so she will be my roommate longer than the rest. Then there is Marilyn who will be here until Sept. She has only been with CTL (Children To Love) for about a week and a half. However, she has been in Romania for 7 months now, and I hope my Romanian is like hers when I have been here that long! She is a great listener and is very encouraging! Holly is the next one who will be here only a month. She is from CA, and has so much joy! She truly has a beautiful spirit and I know the Lord has great plans for her life. Then there is Joanna who will also be here for a month, she traveled here with Holly. She is specifically working children who have mental and physical disabilities…and I can’t wait to go into that orphanage. There is a great need for love for those children, and the stories I have heard set a fire in my heart! I am hoping to go in there after camp next week and play the guitar. Those children never get to hear music…and I can’t wait to play for them! I will let you know when I go into this orphanage because it will be really hard. I have heard that some of the children are 15 or 17 years old but have bodies the size of 2 or 3 year olds…I will need strength for my heart! My last roommate is Katie. Katie is the one I actually share a room with, and she has a wonderful carefree spirit. She loves to get to know people and build relationships.
It has been interesting to see that because some of my roommates are only here for a short time, they don’t have the same desire to learn the language as I do. It is very possible to get around here without knowing Romanian, but I don’t want to just get by. I want to be able to speak to people I meet and carry on a conversation no matter how simple with a stranger. Please pray that I would continue to press on even though I live with Americans and work with Romanian staff members who speak English to me.
I would love to know if there is anything I can be praying about for you. Please let me know, and keep me updated in your lives! I want all of you to be part of what God is doing here in Romania! It is because of you that I am here. God has used each of you in such a unique way in my life and I am reminded of it daily! I praise God for you! May He bless you greatly!
Tomorrow is camp, and this won’t be sent off until I get back from camp! Until then, blessings my friends!

Kristina

No comments: