Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Old news...but a recent update!

Wow… Where do I even start with my day? First off, this whole week, has been amazing to experience! There have been so many emotions that have gone on through this whole week; I can’t even put my finger on it! I feel as though I should cry, but I haven’t done that yet. I wish all of you could be here, that you could touch these little hands, these little feet. However, you are the ones that have sent me and for that I thank you!
Today was my first day in the one of the orphanages. This one happens to be with the disabled children. We started off the day (with the interns) pitching in money and we took the kids out to McDonalds. To the average person this seems normal, but for these kids it is an experience that has rarely happened before. There were 15 kids ages from 9-20. As we took a bus to the McDonalds it was interesting to watch the Romanians look at these children. As I have said before Romanians are ok with staring…most of them never see disabled or handicapped children and a lot of them stared! You never see anyone in a wheelchair or anything! Each child was able to get a happy meal and then some ice cream afterwards. It was such a beautiful day, seeing them so happy and so excited to watch life outside of the orphanage. I am so glad that they were able to get a toy as well; many of these children carry around a box…just to have something. They don’t know what it means to have toys, to have something of their own.
When we were back at the orphanage I was able to go into some of the rooms with the little children. There are a few kids who have (CP) they spend most of their day in a small play pen…not taken out and not moved around with. The care for them is minimal. There bodies are so small with no muscle development. It was a blessing to go in and to hold these children. There is a small stimulation room of toys and a little water bed that Joanna (another intern) and I were able to take two of these children. I was then able to feed one of the boys David and then to some small exercises with him. His grandmother came shortly after I was done feeding him; it was great to see her love on him. Then I went into another room next door, where two of the boys have fluid on the brain. (So their heads are bigger then their bodies) one of the boys is blind, and the other boy is only 14 years but the size of a 1 year old. Precious is the only way to describe him. I was able to take him into the stimulation room as well, and I set his head up so he could be comfortable. I then worked with his legs and arms and I sang to him the whole time. He loved it! I can’t tell you how precious his smile was to see. His face would light up, and every once in awhile he would let out a sweet laugh!
I can’t tell you what I experienced today, what I felt, what I saw. All I know is that God loves these precious children; he has a plan and a purpose for them! Thank you for allowing me to show Christ love to these children who are shunned by their own society who are not cared for. I praise the Lord for each and every one of you! Blessing to you and your family.
Pray for strength and courage. It is hard to deal with the staff at the orphanages (the ones who are hired by the gov.) They do not have a lot of care and compassion for the children. Often they yell at me for picking up a kid….and I can’t really understand what they are saying. Pray for wisdom and guidance as I deal with them. I hope to form a trusting relationship with them. Pray for these children that changes will continue to happen that the gov. will be willing to see the need of helping them improve!
Love Kristina

No comments: